Did you know that today is the longest day of the year? In the US and many other parts of the world, the sun will shine longer today than any other day. It’s known as Summer Solstice and has been celebrated around the world since anyone can remember.
So, in honor of the first day of summer, we thought we’d offer up some interesting facts about Summer Solstice- ones you can share over dinner with your loved ones or use to impress your friends on Facebook.
- Today the sun will not set over the North Pole meaning the polar bears will be extra groggy come tomorrow afternoon.
- Solstice comes from Latin and literally means “sun stand still,” fitting if we don’t say so ourselves.
- Even though it’s the first day of summer we wouldn’t recommend heading to the beach just yet. Due to thermal inertia is takes some time for the ocean to “heat up” from the cold winter days- wait until mid-July for the real summer warmth to set in.
- The reasoning for the longer day of sunlight is that the sun actually reaches its highest point in the sky- pretty neat if you ask us.
- Solstice was traditionally celebrated by dancing around bonfires. Today, it’s often celebrated because it marks the beginning of hunting season and the start of BBQ weekends.
- Although there’s no way to know for sure, many historians & astronomers believe Stonehenge was constructed specifically for today’s celestial occurrence. Apparently the monument is built in conjunction with the solstice alignment.
- If you’re in the Southern Hemisphere today is actually the shortest day of the year. This is due to the Earth’s orbit of the sun and its current angle. No worries though, you can still celebrate by taking advantage of the extra darkness and getting plenty of rest & relaxation. Yes… we’re a little jealous ;-)
So, with it being the longest day of sunlight you know what that means- you should have plenty of time to accomplish everything you need! Just kidding, we all know that even though we have the sun on our side, that doesn’t mean our bodies are up for the challenge. Do what you can and remember to try and sleep in a little later tomorrow. Today may be filled with more daylight, but with that comes the shortest night of the year… Eeek!
Lastly, don’t forget that with summertime comes the hot, steamy sun. You may want to use the extra time today to stock up on summer compression wear as the warmer days will be here before you know it. A popular summer pick amongst our customers are the Medi Sheer & Soft Thigh Highs in the open toe option. They’re comfortable & breathable, and work great with summer dresses & sandals. Looking for something with a little more spunk? Consider our new Sheer Dot Knee Highs in buff; they’re quickly becoming a favorite for summer business attire.